Saturday, January 30, 2010

Principals Try to Poison You.


This past weekend (the weekend of the 21st) I had 3 'French' meals. One Friday, one Saturday, one Sunday. They were all with other people from my school and they all happened to fall on the same weekend. Let me explain what a French meal is. Going along with my normal habit of description through pictures, here is a picture of each part of a French meal:

Step One:


Some pre-dinner snacks. This is either served with water, juice, wine or champagne (the latter two for most).

Step Two:
L'entree (appetizer). This can pretty much comprise of anything. On Sunday I had something that was similar to this (except more salad). We'll get back to this one.

Step Three:

The real deal. The main plate which is normally some sort of meat and one (maximum 2) other thing.

Step 4:

Le fromage. It wouldn't be France if there were not cheeses. There is normally a selection of cheeses to pick from.

Step 5:

Dessert. In this case, the traditional "January" dessert is Galette des Rois. It is a delicious pastry with almond filling. Inside there is a little 'feve' or toy. The person that happens upon the toy gets to wear the crown!

Step 6:
Coffee (or tea) with a piece of chocolate.

Now, mind you, there is bread served with every part of the meal. Likewise, there is a different type of alcohol (my word, the alcohol!) served with every plate. Start with champagne, then red wine with the appetizer and meal, a different kind of red for the cheese, a sweet white for dessert and a little bit of brandy for a 'digestif.'

All of this to say, I have been sick since Sunday night. I don't think my body could handle that much food! Seriously, I always hear about how much Americans eat, but never in my life have I seen people eat so much food.

The other assistant and I
think we got food poisoning at the Principal's meal on Sunday. Refer to step 2 for what we ate. Point in case: don't agree to go to 3 'French meals' in one weekend and don't eat French delicatessen. Your stomach will hate you.

P.S. Good job to most everyone - most French students take 7 years of English before college. Most of them take it in college as well (so another 3 years).

1 comment:

  1. I really want to know.... what were your thoughts in realizing you might need medical care? I would think being in a hospital in France could be a bit un-nerving, unless you would have been too sick to care.

    ReplyDelete