Thursday, November 26, 2009

What I'm Thankful For: Public Transportation

I don't know why I find public transportation so interesting here...maybe because it's terrible in the US so it's something novel to me. Public transportation is encouraged in France because it is better for the environment (there's a reason why France has one of the lowest carbon emission rates in the world) and thus they make it economical as well. For example, for people between the age of 20-26, a pass costs 30 euro for one month (for ALL forms). BUT, not only that, if you use public transportation to go to and from work, your job must reimburse you half. So in the end, I pay 15 euro a month for transportation. Not bad, eh? It isn't even comparable with the cost of having a vehicle for maintenance and gas. Personally, I use public transportation at least twice a day, but normally more. Here are the different kinds of public transportation:



There are 3 tram lines in Nantes. I have to take this to get to my French classes 2/week.

The Navibus: there are 2 rivers in Nantes so this is practical for those that must cross it to get to work. I took it once just for a little tour of the river :).

The Busway is similar to the tram line in that it stops at every single 'stop' and has it's own personal path, like a tram would have. I use this very often because it's right next door to Marco's (his building is the one shown on the left). This line goes to a bus depot in St. Sebastian (where I live).

This is a typical bus. The one I take is actually twice as long (kinda like the busways shown above). You must push a button for the driver to stop at certain places. I think that's how they work in Lancaster as well. I take this to and from work everyday, and also when there isn't a TER at the time I want. What's a TER you ask? Well, you're about to find out!



The TER is a regional train. It makes stops in cities that are on the outskirts of Nantes, like St. Sebastian. Quite conveniently the TER stop is literally a 3 minute walk from where I live and it only takes 5 minutes to get into the heart of the city via this kind of transportation.

Unfortunately, there are some downfalls to 'le transport public' as well:
1) Sometimes the buses they are early or late - if they are early, you might miss your bus, if they are late, good luck with getting to where you need to be on time!

2) During the day, the frequency of public transportation is pretty good, but at night, you have to plan around when your tram/busway etc. is leaving because otherwise you will be standing at the stop for a long time....

3) the TER stops at 9pm so this means, to get back to St. Seb, I must take a tram to a bus depot and then take the bus back. It takes 2 or 3 times longer.

4) It takes longer in general. For example, a car ride to where the Grove City house is would take 15 minutes. On public transportation, it takes closer to an hour. This isn't always the case, it just so happens that it's like that. At other times, it's faster to take public transportation. It all depends.

5) And lastly, and most importantly, STRIKES. French people LOOOVEEEE to strike. Well, news flash for them, I don't like it. When they are on strike, this means either there is no public transportation at all, or there is only one every few hours. Since I've been here I think there have been close to 5 strikes (with only one being major and over a few days). They are ridiculously annoying and disrupt the lives of everyone. And, let's say you have a great trip planned to Greece and you need to take the train to Paris, to fly out of Paris. Good luck during a strike. Consider that trip canceled.

So, there are obviously the pros and the cons for public transportation, but in the end, I'm a big fan. It's cheaper, more ecological, and quite practical.

But, I still miss my car.

2 comments:

  1. I like the TER. I'd feel like I was in Disney World every day. Maybe you can wait your turn and sit in the nose???!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha yea right...If I did that I'd probably never be able to take it again! And by the way, I just found out today that the trains are going on strike EVERY Sunday and Monday, now through JUNE!!!!! Unions have way to much power - but that's in every country.

    ReplyDelete