Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Les Maisons Francaises (French Houses)

In this picture you can see a few things that are different than in the US, all having to do with the window. First, you can see that the window doesn't lift up like in the US, rather it opens inward with 2 doors. Second, you can see that there is no screen. In my opinion, this is SO annoying. You wouldn't believe the number of mosquito bites Marco had earlier in the school year, just because there are no screens (and he still argues that it's a good thing!). I partially lowered the 'vollets' or the shutters, for you to be able to see. When it's fully closed, the room becomes pitch black. You can raise and lower it with the bar that is on the left of the window. It is supposed to give privacy and safety. I understand safety but I still don't see how blinds are that much different! And lastly, you can see the curtains. These are typical French. They permit you to see out of your window, but it is very difficult to look into someone's home when they have this kind of curtain. You can also see the cat on the left playing with my post-it notes :).



Differences with the bed: Yes, I made my bed this morning, Mom! I just pulled it back to show you that something is missing, no worries. What is missing, you ask? The sheet. There are no sheets! You have the bottom sheet to cover the mattress and your comforter and that's it. Every comforter is covered with a duvet which they change as often as we change our sheets. You will also notice that the square is pillow. I have yet to see a rectangular pillow 'a la americaine.' This doesn't have to do with the bed, but you can see that there is an oriental carpet on my floor. I have not seen carpet in anyone's house. The floor is either linoleum, wood, or tile with rugs covering different parts.


Another exciting picture :). Here you can see that the door handles are different as well as the light switches. I am not sure if it was Marco or Ronan who said this to me (I'm thinking Ronan...), but when he came to the US he was surprised to see our door handles and light switches because they are considered to be out-of-date in France. You will also notice here how white it is, which you can also see in other pictures. There's lots of white here. Lots.Also, you might have to click on the picture to see this more clearly, but if you look closely at the wall it is textured. The French cover their walls in this special kind of wallpaper and then paint the wall paper. Some of the textures are HIDEOUS and others are quite pleasant like this one. Supposedly they think it hides marks etc. I think it's just as noticeable but we'll keep that a secret between you and me.


Here you also see the whiteness but you also see the oven. It looks like an American toaster oven but it's actually a small oven. I have not yet see a 'normal' oven. They don't understand why we need a huge oven. It is only necessary to cook enough food for the family for one night, which this oven sufficiently does. Their stove tops are electric and built into their counter-tops (with 4 burners). I have eaten so much wonderful French food from this oven!


The bathroom. No, it's not the most pleasant picture ever but it's just to demonstrate the differences. So, what's missing? Good job for those of you who said sink. You are obviously the ones who wash your hands. Everyone else, never touch me please (jk! kinda...) So, the sink is in the 'salle de bain' (bath room - literally) and the toilet is in the 'toilette' room. I am not sure why they keep them separate but they do. You can't see this in the picture, but there are also two buttons on the top of the toilet. I don't think I need to explain the reasoning for that one.....


Well, there is a quick tour of some things you might see that are different in French homes, if you are ever blessed with the opportunity to come!

4 comments:

  1. I'm sure this is an interesting post for the people unaware of our strange customs :)

    I'd like to bring a few precisions though.

    I think windows are considered here as a real opening to the outside, not just a source of light and air. When the weather is nice we like to open the windows wide, to be able to stand by the window half-inside and half-outside, which is impossible with american windows that can barely get opened. We would feel a little "trapped" with american windows. However, safety and privacy are also important, that is why we like shutters and curtains.

    About the walls, yes that kind of wallpaper hides the marks and holes. But there is a detail you missed : you need to paint again on them! If you dont, of course the marks wont be hidden. The point is that if there are marks or if you want to change the color of your walls, you just have to apply a new coat of paint and that's it!

    Lots of families have big ovens, it's just not our case because we don't really need one.

    For the bathroom, lots of people do have a sink by the toilet. It just depends on how the room is, if there is enough space etc... There would be enough room there but my mom chose to put shelves for shoes instead. Some people also have a toilet in the bathroom by the sink and shower.

    VoilĂ !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why do you need to paint over paper though? We just paint directly on the walls. In the end it's just more work for you guys.

    With the other stuff, of course I'll believe you, but I have yet to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Because fixing holes and marks in a clean way is much harder on plain walls. We just set up the paintable wallpaper once and then we're quiet for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a fan of mosquito bites. So, having a window open with a screen for protection from the elements is a great choice. Marco, I guess you like to camp?! I love the idea of not having big appliances, not having so much food storage, and not making such big quantities (that notoriously get thrown away.) Kudos to France. The wallaper- different thought. And, speaking of so much white... I am looking foward to getting rid of my white walls. Color is the spice of life :-) It is so interesting to realize and note the simple differences in cultures. THanks for sharing... loved the blog.

    ReplyDelete