Sunday, May 16, 2010

The Beginning of the End....

I think I can officially say that this is the end of my stay in France. I have 2 full days left in Nantes (I will spend the night on Wednesday in Paris for my Thursday morning flight) before heading back to the good ole US of A. Bittersweet is the only way of describing my imminent departure. Leaving Marco and his family behind will be incredibly difficult and emotional, but seeing the US, my family and friends will be oh-so-sweet. When I get sad about the end of this stage of my life, all I have to think about is all that is awaiting me when I return and I feel better (well...most of the time I do!). In all reality, I do my best to just not think about it at all, in order to regulate my emotions and not seem manic to those around me!

So, what now? Upon my return, I will start working for the Rohrer's again as well as settling back to being in the US and at home. My plan is to be very busy as soon as possible to make life seem 'normal,' in hopes of having a smoother transition. I have a decent amount of things to do when I get back: a haircut (the first in 9 months!), welcome home party on the 22nd with my GCC friends (which I am really looking forward to), work, hanging out with family, unpacking, helping my mom re-decorate, searching for an apartment in Philly, a sign language course, getting things ready for Bethany and Josh's wedding (I am doing their flowers) etc. In August, I will move to Philadelphia to start my studies and assistantship at Eastern University to be a School Psychologist. Another three years of school seems a little daunting, but I am really looking forward to being back in the learning environment as well.

As for Marco, he currently has an internship in Nantes which he will be finishing up mid-fall. He is starting to look for a job in the US in hopes of joining me after his internship. He wasn't able to find an internship in the US after months of searching, so I am hoping that finding a job doesn't have the same result. We are trying to be optimistic! In any case, he will come to visit at the end of fall/beginning of winter. We are hoping to see each other again in the 3 to 5 month time frame. Oh, yes... back to long distance!

Well, hopefully I answered the basic questions that many of you have asked me recently. Of course if you have more questions, ask away!

In the mean time, I am going to enjoy my last 2 days in my home away from home.... a bientot!


3 comments:

  1. I feel emotional for you. What a gift this year has been for you and a true blessing to have been loved by Marco and his family. My appreciation is beyond words and all I can do is to offer to return the same at any time. Enjoy these last days in France~

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been so much fun reading your blog about your travels, I feel like I am really there experiencing it with you! I'll be home as well in August, I hope we can make time to grab some tea together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom- Pascale and Henri (grandfather) but said that if Marco is there, they will definitely come visit...and since Marco WILL be there, you'll have a house full of Frenchies at some point :)

    Brooke- That would be WONDERFUL! Keep me in touch with when you'll be back in Lancaster. In the meantime, I'll just have to get an update from your mom on Friday!

    ReplyDelete