Friday, September 4, 2009

Well, I don't have too overly much to say but here is a little update since my arrival...

The past few days have been pretty rainy which has made it a little difficult to enjoy the city and to get things done. I was able to set up my French cell phone and after one failed trip, I was finally able to get my Tan pass (public transportation). Now I can go on any public transportation in the city whenever I want for just 30 euro! We seriously need to upgrade our public transportation in the US. That is less than what I pay for gas in a month (well, pre-Corolla anyway...). Before I can do much more, I need to set up a French bank account which may be a bit of a feat. It is hard to find banks that don't require a year commitment, but fortunately the program has provided us with a list with those that NORMALLY are okay with the teacher assistants and allow them to have a shorter contract.

Besides that, I have been hanging out with Marco, his mom (Pascale), and the cat (Chaterton)....watching movies, eating more yummy French food, reading, having interesting conversations about French government etc.

It is normal to be here but almost somewhat weird. It is taking awhile for me to realize that I am here for such a long time and need to set up some sort of life for myself here. It is a little overwhelming and can make me slightly stressed from time to time. The first month with be the hardest, so I just need to make it through this in one piece and then I will be good to go :).

4 days down, many more to go....

3 comments:

  1. I hope you focus from time to time on French-US comparisons, like public transport or whatever. Would be interested.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would be glad to :). I just didn't know if such comparisons interested people besides me! Now that I know, I will surely post some things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barbara, I'm so glad to hear you're doing well and starting to get adjusted to your new life in France! I look forward to more stories on your adventures. Let me know when you take a trip into Paris and I'll send you a few addresses to a few shops you must visit! (Specifically for macarons!)

    ReplyDelete