Tuesday, August 25, 2009

What I'll Be Doing

So, I figured today I would let everyone know what I'll be doing in this far, far away land!

I was selected as an English Assistant through the French Assistantship Program, run by the French government. My French prof at Grove City told me about the program over a year ago, and since then I have been in the process of applying, waiting ( A LOT of waiting), and finally preparing. I was given a position at Lycee La Herdrie (
http://www.la-herdrie.com/index.htm) right outside of Nantes, France (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nantes). A 'lycee' is a high school in France. I will be working with the entire English department, composed of six teachers. I will be in a 'student teacher' role, as I will never have full control of the classroom. This is a good thing to me since I have no background in teaching! I am sure I will be challenged trying to keep 25 hormonal teenage students entertained and learning each class period!

Outside of teaching, I will also be taking 6 hours of French per week through l'Universite de Nantes. This is not required, but I figure I might as well try to become as fluent as possible while I am there. Not only that, but each class is only 150 euro! Not bad, huh? I might as well take advantage of the cheap schooling while I can!

Besides that, I will be spending time with Marco and his family, visiting Mathilde (the French exchange student we hosted this summer), going to N. Ireland to visit a few friends, getting active in the church I go to when I'm there, and just assimilating to French culture.

Today is a designated packing/errand day, so hopefully I will get what I need organized some more today. I am still paranoid that I am missing some important piece of paperwork. Fortunately my check list tells me otherwise :).

No comments:

Post a Comment